John D. Spreckels Center: The Spreckels Center has a lot going on this summer. Here are a few of the offerings:
- Beat the heat with an Ice Cream Social on Tuesday, July 24, from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Staff will be serving up ice cream sundaes with all your favorite toppings. After ice cream, join new and old friends for some carnival games.
- The next Seasonal Floral Design class is set for Monday, August 6, from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. The fee is $45 or $35 for residents, plus a $20 materials fee due to the instructor on the day of class.In the most recent class, participants created a beachy, fresh floral arrangement that included bells of Ireland, irises, Snapdragons and seashells.
Free Presentations at the Spreckels Center continue through August featuring:
- Cardiovascular Health Lecture on Thursday, July 31, from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Attendees can learn what to do and what not to do to prevent heart disease.
- Preventing Diabetes on Thursday, July 26, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Learn what factors increase your risk and what small steps can have a big impact on your health and quality of life.
- Caring for Adults with PTSD on Thursday, August 23, from 10 to 11 a.m. Learn how to manage some of the behaviors and care for someone with PTSD.