This Day in History – August 18, 1923 – the new San Diego Yacht Club formally opened its new and (supposedly) permanent home on Glorietta Bay. John D. Spreckels was a charter member of the club. He donated land just south of Tent City along the bay shore (probably close to where Glorietta Bay Park sits now). The Club flag was raised by Rear Admiral Ashley Robertson hoisted the flags, marking the official opening of the new location.
The land measured 200’ x 250’. The clubhouse building was 100’ long along the water by 25’ deep. The building was rustic and included a large dining room, full kitchen, small rooms for meetings, locker and dressing rooms. A wide deck spanned across the front of the clubhouse with two docks and a 60’ signal mast. Glorietta Bay was too shallow for larger yachts so the yacht club also had a basin in San Diego Bay closer to the mouth of the channel. In 1934, the club moved back to San Diego, but by then Coronado Yacht Club was up and running in Glorietta Bay.