Today marks a milestone of 50 years for the San Diego – Coronado Bridge. Opening at midnight on August 3, 1969 at the same time the Coronado Ferry ceased operations after 83 years. It was a day full of emotion for Coronado residents who grieved at the loss of their beloved ferries and a simpler way of life, but at the same time marveled with amazement and concern at the bridge, knowing that their island was undergoing big changes.
Tonight the city celebrates with a concert, hosting the golden anniversary celebration on Saturday, August 3, with a community concert on the Golf Course greens on the actual anniversary of the bridge’s opening. The concert is free and open to the public. Local band “Ron’s Garage” will perform music from the 1960s from 6:30 to 8 p.m.
The July issue of Crown City Magazine looks back to 1969 and tells stories of the history of the bridge as well as highlighting history in Coronado circa 1969. www.CrownCityMagazine.com
The Coronado Fire Department’s 2019 annual Spaghetti Dinner fundraiser to benefit the San Diego Burn Institute is set for Sunday, July 28. Spaghetti will be served from 4 to 7 p.m. Cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under. If you would like any other information, call (619) 522-7374.
- ADULT PROGRAMS:
- There will be a free screening of the film “On the Basis of Sex” starring Felicity Jones and Armie Hammer, at 3 p.m. on Monday, July 22. The movie explores the true story of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, her struggles for equal rights, and the early cases of a historic career that lead to her nomination and confirmation as U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice.
- A special welcoming orientation will be held at the Library at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, July 23, by the Library and the Coronado Floral Association to those interested in knowing more about the annual Coronado Flower Show. Attendees will learn about the Show’s design division, an overview of various National Garden Club styles and approaches to creating floral designs to help inspire others. The two-hour event will include how to become more involved in the longest-running tented flower show in the United States.
- A free “Introduction to Excel” workshop will be held at the Library at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 24.Please call the Library to sign up.
- Wine expert Eric Awes will lecture on the major wines and wine regions of France at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, July 25. Participants will receive a coupon for Coronado’s Wine a Bit to further their wine exploration.
- YOUTH EVENTS:
Enjoy one last “Great Coronado Bake Off” this summer at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, July 23. Kids will be given ingredients and tasked with creating book characters.
- Toddler Story Hour: Tuesday and Friday at 10:10am in the Ruby Room
- Preschool Story Hour: Tuesday and Friday at 10:45am in the Ruby Room
- Beach Storytime will be held next to the Main Lifeguard Tower at Coronado Central Beach on Ocean Boulevard at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, July 24. Look for the purple tent next to the new walkway.
- Kids of all ages are invited to twist themselves into pretzels at Giant Twister on the Children’s Patio at 3 p.m. on Thursday, July 25. Stretch out before taking on the life-sized version of the game.
- Teens can try out test questions, and practice ways to improve their scores on the ACT and the SAT to prep for the college tests at 10 a.m. to noon on Wednesday, July 24. This free event is being held in partnership with High Performance Tutoring. No registration necessary. At 2 p.m., the same day, teens can create their own Walk of Fame star to take home. Design something that reflects the true star of your own show: you. All supplies provided.
For More Info go to: Coronado Public Library July Calendar
Stock up on beach reads at the Friends of the Coronado Library Summer Sale! All trade paperbacks and teen fiction are buy 2 get 1 free through the month of July. Learn more at coronadofol.org.
Board, Commission, Committee Vacancies: Positions are open on the following board, commission or committees: Bicycle Advisory Committee (1) and Design Review Commission (1). Applications are being accepted for all open positions. Responsibilities of each commission/committee, qualifications for appointment, term of office, and deadline for receipt of applications can be found on the bottom of the City’s Boards, Commissions and Committees page.
Presidents’ Day 2019 Holiday Schedule: The City of Coronado will observe the Presidents’ Day holiday on Monday, February 18, and reminds residents and businesses that some municipal facilities around town will remain open. Public Services crews will not sweep streets on the holiday. EDCO will perform regular residential trash collection on Presidents’ Day. Certain City of Coronado departments and services will be open with varying hours of operation. Here’s the schedule: