Demystifying Design: A Floral Design Workshop will be held at the Library at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, July 23, by the Library and the Coronado Floral Association to those interested in knowing more about the annual Coronado Flower Show. Attendees will learn about the Show’s design division, an overview of various National Garden Club styles and approaches to creating floral designs to help inspire others. The two-hour event will include how to become more involved in the longest-running tented flower show in the United States.
John D. Spreckels Center: The Spreckels Center has a lot going on this summer. Here are a few of the offerings:
- Beat the heat with an Ice Cream Social on Tuesday, July 24, from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Staff will be serving up ice cream sundaes with all your favorite toppings. After ice cream, join new and old friends for some carnival games.
- The next Seasonal Floral Design class is set for Monday, August 6, from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. The fee is $45 or $35 for residents, plus a $20 materials fee due to the instructor on the day of class.In the most recent class, participants created a beachy, fresh floral arrangement that included bells of Ireland, irises, Snapdragons and seashells.
Free Presentations at the Spreckels Center continue through August featuring:
- Cardiovascular Health Lecture on Thursday, July 31, from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Attendees can learn what to do and what not to do to prevent heart disease.
- Preventing Diabetes on Thursday, July 26, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Learn what factors increase your risk and what small steps can have a big impact on your health and quality of life.
- Caring for Adults with PTSD on Thursday, August 23, from 10 to 11 a.m. Learn how to manage some of the behaviors and care for someone with PTSD.