SAVE THE DATE!
Taste of Coronado 2019
Thursday, October 10 @ 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
10th Annual Taste of Coronado – presented by the Coronado Junior Woman’s Club
Spend the evening on Coronado Island, indulging your senses and enjoying amazing bites prepared by our local chefs. Take a culinary trip around the world sampling from our local bistros. Meander along Orange Avenue or take a ride on the complimentary trolley. This will be a night to remember so come and bring your friends!
Tickets are open to all ages but you must be 21 or older to participate in the alcohol tastings.
On the day of the event, please bring your e-ticket print out to on our our ticket locations on Orange Ave
+ Location #1 Rotary Plaza at the 1000 block of Orange Ave
+ Location #2 Ferry Landing, 1201 1st St (intersection of 1st St & B Ave)
We will exchange your ticket for a tasting card. You can start your tastings from either end of Orange Avenue.
The City’s contractor has started its annual tree trimming service for publicly owned trees in the area bounded by Alameda Boulevard, Orange Avenue, First Street and Fourth Street. The area is called Sector 1 and is outlined in the map below. The City asks residents to please be aware of no-parking signs throughout that sector and plan ahead. There are approximately 1,100 trees to be trimmed in Sector 1. The work may take up to 90 days. The tree trimming contractor will have a crew of about five members with several large trucks moving throughout the area. The work should be completed by mid-October.
From the City of Coronado Weekly Update 8-30-19
September at the Spreckels Center:
- On Tuesdays, September 10 and 17, from noon to 4 p.m., the AARP Smart Driver course, the nation’s first refresher course specifically designed for drivers age 50 and older, will be held at the John D. Spreckels Center.The California Department of Motor Vehicles recognizes this course as an approved Mature Driver Improvement Course for an automobile insurance premium reduction. Please check prior to taking this course for any additional requirements for eligibility. Attendance at both sessions is required. The fee is $15 for AARPmembers and $20 for nonmembers. Call now to reserve your seat.
- The Spreckels Center continues its quarterly Osher Lifelong Learning Institute partnership “Saturday Arts Lecture” on Saturday, September 14, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. The streaming lecture will be “It’s Only Rock and Roll: The Folk Revival: Guthrie to Dylan.” Robert Cancel, Professor Emeritus of Comparative Literature at the University of California, San Diego, is the featured speaker. Register now to reserve a seat.
- Balboa Park Tour on Thursday, September 19, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. with docent-led tours of the Spanish Village Art Center and the Timken Museum of Art, as well as an optional lunch at the Prado. Cost is $35 for Coronado residents/$44 for nonresidents. This Balboa Park day trip includes transportation from the Spreckels Center, along with the expertly guided tours. Lunch is not included in the price.
- Armchair Travel Returns Tuesday, September 17, at 6 p.m. with adventures to the Taj Mahal. Coronado’s own Helen Anderson, who founded the Armchair Travel program in 2013, is the evening’s featured speaker. Light refreshments begin at 6 p.m. followed by the speaker’s presentation at 6:30 p.m. The cost is $6 for residents, $7 for non-residents.
From the City of Coronado Weekly Update:
Labor Day Holiday: The City will observe the Labor Day holiday on Monday, September 2. Some City facilities will be open with varying hours of operation. Public Services crews will not sweep streets on the holiday. EDCO will not perform regular residential trash collection on Labor Day. As a result, service will be delayed one day. Here is the Labor Day schedule:
The Mighty Untouchables
Sept 1 – 5:00pm
This supreme multi-cultural mix of musicians and singers entertain throughout the world, and are guaranteed to please audiences of all tastes with their extensive and diverse collection of material.
Their repertoire includes songs from Bruno Mars, Cee Lo Green, Earth, Wind & Fire, Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Prince, Santana, AC/DC, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, and Celia Cruz just to name a few!
Website: The Mighty Untouchables
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the opening of the San Diego-Coronado Bridge this year, the City of Coronado updated commemorative medallions that were first produced in 1969. The medallions were updated to reflect the 50th anniversary and a limited number were produced. There are about 70 left. The medallions can be purchased while supplies last for $35 plus tax each. For more information, contact Kelly Purvis at email@example.com or (619) 522-2633.
From the City of Coronado Weekly Update 8-31-19
Fall 2019 registration for City of Coronado’s Fall/Winter Recreation programs opens to Coronado Residents on August 28, available online only. For more information about classes, programs and registration: Coronado Recreation and Golf Services: City of Coronado Recreation Guide Fall Winter 2019 lores
In addition to an array of programs, Coronado Community Center has world-class facilities including:
- Aquatics center with a 50 meter competitive pool and a shallow recreational/instructional pool.
- Gymnasium with NCAA regulation sized basketball court for basketball, volleyball and badminton.
- An amazing indoor Climbing Wall which features a flat face wall, overhangs and chimney.
- A Fitness Center in which you can enjoy the view of Glorietta Bay as you work out.
- A Dance Studio featuring hardwood floors, ballet barres and floor-to-ceiling mirrors.
A Star is Born – Coronado Island Film Festival 2019 Classic Movie Series
Presented by Coronado Island Film Festival (CIFF)
Aug. 28, 2019, 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Vintage Village Theater Main Theater 820 Orange Avenue Coronado, CA 92118
The Coronado Island Film Festival presents The Festival Classic Movie Series 2019. “An oldie but goodie every month!”
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit coronadoislandfilmfestival.com
Activities this week at the Coronado Public Library
Tuesday, August 27
10:10am – Toddler Time
10:45am – Preschool Storytime
6:30pm – Google Drive Basics
Wednesday, August 28
6:30pm – Intro to MS Word
Thursday, August 29
10:30am – Kids Yoga (age 3-5)
3:30pm – Kids Yoga (age 6+)
Friday, August 30
10:10am – Toddler Story Hour
10:45am – Preschool Story Hour
Saturday, August 31
2:30pm – Spoilers Book Club: Silver Linings Playbook
For a complete calendar of Library events: LIBRARY CALENDAR
Vote for the 2020 Coronado Community Read
From the one hundred and one titles that were nominated since the conclusion of the 2019 Coronado Community Read. The Coronado Cultural Arts Literary Arts Team has narrowed down the titles to these five titles. Now it’s time for you to help choose next the 2020 Coronado Community Read.
Cast your vote for one of the five titles by September 13. The winner of the community read will be announced in September, the Coronado Community Read will take place in February of 2020.
Stop by the library to check out a copy of the top five.
Cast your vote in person at the Library,
the Coronado Community Center or Bay Books.
Or vote on line here: Vote for the 2020 Coronado Community Read
The Community Read made possible by Friends of the Coronado Public Library and the Coronado Cultural Arts Commission.
Coronado Public Library
640 Orange Avenue
Coronado, CA 92118